Monday, March 16, 2015

Cheating

For some reason this morning on my hour and a half drive to work, I started thinking about cheating. Not OF cheating, as I can honestly say I have never done that. But about cheating on one's spouse or significant other and whether or not the crime is the same in all instances. I think that if you have pledged fidelity to someone, and you betray that pledge on either a consistent basis or continuing basis, that is without a doubt cheating. But here is what I wonder. Let me give you two examples (and I will use the masculine here, though I guess this could apply to both sexes):

You have been in a relationship for awhile now and though you are still affectionate and loving, the spark has  gone out of you sex life. In fact, some of the things you particularly enjoyed your partner is no longer willing to do. You are out one night at a bar, encounter a prostitute, arrange a business deal, and you have no emotional connection to her.

You look up an old romance on the internet and start emailing. Though she is 750 miles away, you have no intention of seeing her, and the emails are innocent with no sexual or romantic innuendo. You remain in contact with her for several months, and keep the correspondence a secret from your partner. Finally, you end the correspondence out of guilt.

It is my belief that emotional cheating is the greater sin here. While I don't condone either, a physical encounter with no emotional involvement seems like it isn't as bad.

As usual, I have too much time on my mind while I drive. I wonder if anybody else thinks of crap like this, especially if they aren't cheating?

No comments:

Post a Comment